Thursday 4 January 2018

Screenshots of the evolution of raining blocks, now available!

Raining blocks is now live on steam. This is my first game on the Steam platform and I hope that is not the only one, but,  also, I expect to make better games (hiring a 2D designer/animator for example) if I can gain some funds. I already started the prototype of my new game! (Code name: Project K.)

So, this game has been designed and published on Android and Steam / PC (Windows and Linux) on three months (weekends). Both versions where made at the same time (using Libgdx as an engine), but was released first on Android as it was faster to publish, it did not need the split screen mode and an early feedback it's always useful.

Now, I know that there is a very tough competition.. there is plenty of apps on the play store, with hundreds news app everyday, and if you are not a know publisher, or your app is just not a masterpiece, or simply, you don't pay Google for the ads, probably the app is not going to perfom as you like to.

On Steam every day are like 20 new games, and unless you can market the game from very early and appeal to a group of customers the game will also "fail" (for me, this first game, publishing it is a success. Any experience is welcome).

Anyway, the core of this game was done on a weekend. The next weekend the game play was polished and features that just did not work were cut (jumping for example). At the third weekend I did the final menus (at least on the android version), starting the beta testing with friends and on the fourth I implemented google services. And on the fifth, the game went live on android (with bugfixes patch along the two next weeks).


First playable version of the game. Easy mode was way bigger! 



First tutorial of the game! It was a three static images tutorial. Now the game has an interactive one. Also note the first character of the game! (from opengamearts.org)


Bug reporting from a tester. The infamous "block did not fall randomly" bug. GUI was not finished yet, but the game had now backgrounds!


The (almost) final menu of the android version. Screenshot of a tester, checking that the ad was working. (I should not use my own phones to show adds, or Google will use the ban hammer against me).

The next month I remade the menu with my own GFX that was better suited on the theme of the game. I did the split screen mode and implemented gamepad and SteamWorks to the game. After little changes on the game play (speed changes, sound effects, musics) the game was ready.


An early version of the new menu for the steam version


Early split screen mode (on debug mode, player two can't die so I can test the mode) that it's on the Steam version.

And after two weeks of mandatory waiting on the Steam system, now is live!


No comments:

Post a Comment